Director of Platform and Product
Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Do you like the idea of working for an organization that connects people throughout Oregon and the Pacific NW with the power of a shared story? Could you lead an organization into more product design thinking to better serve our audience? This position may be for you!
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced general product manager skilled in website, app and email product to join our innovative, nonprofit journalism organization as OPB’s Director of Platform and Product. This is an excellent opportunity to grow product management strategies at OPB, and build a team over time. You will play a key role in expanding OPB’s capacity to serve Oregon and the PNW.
As a Director of Platforms and Product you will be charged with driving forward clear priorities and deadlines, marshalling staff, vendor and physical resources and ensuring that OPB is thriving in an ever-changing media landscape. You’ll work closely with leaders in Audience Development, Marketing, and our Digital Platform team. Given the wide-reaching impact of this position an ability to both see the bigger picture and also be detailed oriented is desired. If you are a collaborative problem solver that knows how to turn strategic ideas into tangible products and projects, we’d love to hear from you!
The Director of Platforms and Product executes the strategy- and evolution of the organization’s websites, mobile apps, and email platforms for OPB and KMHD. This includes ensuring platforms are evolving to be relevant to audience needs, meeting our public service mission and identifying potential new directions.
This position performs an integral role within the Programming and Audience Engagement team. and leads collaboration with other teams across the organization to ensure OPB is reaching audiences and maximizing the effectiveness of each touch point. Daily work involves ensuring priorities are clear, and needed resources are available to turn strategic visions into reality.
This position will be a liaison with external vendors for our website and app and will help identify vendors needed for other platforms in the future.
75% - Develop and execute the product roadmap for our website and app platforms, aligning with the company's overall audience strategy.
- Collaborate with the Audience Intelligence Strategist to identify user needs, market trends, and competitive landscape as well as monitor and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs), user feedback, and usage data to identify opportunities for product optimization and audience growth.
- Lead product retrospectives to evaluate, learn and develop iterations for future products.
- Define and prioritize product requirements, ensuring they are well-documented and consistently and repeatedly communicated to all stakeholders.
- Work closely with UX/UI designers and Digital Platform Development team to create intuitive and engaging user experiences and ensure timely and high-quality delivery of product features and enhancements.
- Create, monitor and drive forward priorities and platform timelines to ensure successful iteration and evolution.
- Robustly communicate with stakeholders about status of projects, timelines, strategies and priorities to ensure staff are clear on progress and strategic goals.
- Identify and recommend new opportunities for improved platform for audience service.
- Stay updated on industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices to drive innovation and maintain a competitive edge.
15% - Manage vendor relationships for the website and app (and in the future, email) including deliverables, contract renewals, invoice review and other administrative elements to ensure we are successfully working with outside entities.
- Collaborate with team members to identify possible new vendor needs.
- Strategize best growth path to build out product owners for the organization including future email product needs and other opportunities for product and platform enhancements.
10% - Other duties could include special projects, experimentation and idea development, cross departmental work groups and other items as opportunities and need arise.
This position spends the majority of time at a computer during standard business hours with occasional evening or weekend work. Remote work and hybrid remote and in-office work is possible if residency is in Oregon or Washington. Occasional travel is required for meetings and conferences (regionally and nationally).
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated experience as a Product Manager, specifically working with website and app development but other product management is also a plus.
- Comprehensive understanding of web and mobile technologies, UI/UX principles, and agile development methodologies.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to translate data into actionable insights.
- Proficiency in the entire strategic process, encompassing goal establishment, strategy formulation, as well as communication and reporting.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage both short term and long-term initiatives simultaneously.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively across cross-functional teams.
- Experience with data-driven decision making, A/B testing, and user research.
- Knowledge of the media industry and changing media climate landscape.
- Knowledge of intricacies of content management systems (CMS).
- Ability to manage both urgent, short-term projects and complex, longer-term projects.
- Demonstrated understanding and use of data analysis.
- Ability to lead, inspire and work constructively with a variety of colleagues across multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with vendors and other external partners.
- Oriented to innovation, strategy, problem solving, teamwork and constant pursuit of audience service.
- Understands consumer digital products and leverages the knowledge to create a better product.
- Prioritizes creating an exceptional consumer experience and can anticipate needs of the end user.
- Commitment to navigating inclusive and equitable design, collaboration and an understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism either through lived experience and/or training and education.
- Evidence of increased professional responsibility
- Public media experience
- Supervisory experience
- This position reports to VP of Programming and Audience Engagement and is benefits eligible
- The probable hiring range for this exempt position is between $87,000 - $97,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
How to Apply
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on December 6, 2023.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.